Thursday, September 28, 2006

My Best Friend



Spending my days with Bella is like having a best friend with me 24 hours a day. Most of the time you adore them. Sometimes you think they are possessed by aliens. She is growing and learning so much right now. I can have a full conversation with her...I love it. Here are a few things she's been doing lately.

*Our bedtime ritual is for us to get into bed...and then I tell her the story of our day. "Once upon a time, the was a little girl named Bella Grace. She woke up one morning and had oatmeal with her mommy. Then they got ready to go to playgroup..." and so on. After that, we sing a lullaby. And then I say "Goodnight Bella...I love you so much!". We had been doing this ritual for a couple weeks, and one night, she looked back up at me and said,
"I love you too so much too"

Talk about a heart melter. I have had dreams about my child telling me that...it was so wonderful.

*We recently pulled into a Starbucks parking lot. Bella took one look and said..."I NEED CAFFEINE!".

*We were in the bathroom at Lowe's. Bella was pooping...she started out by pooping a bunch of little poopies. Then she pooped a big one. She looked down into the toilet and said ... "Awwwww! It's the mommy!". I was rolling on the floor laughing. I guess I hadn't ever thought about poop having a mommy. Along these same lines...Bella is still very concerned about everyone else's mommy. If she sees a squirrel by itself..."where's his mommy?!"

*She asked me for water and I filled up a cup and gave it to her. She looked at it and said, "No...I need the piggy water!". It took me a few moments to figure out that she wanted the little juice glass with a cute little pig on it.

*Bella is very independent. She wants to do many things by herself now...which makes it very hard to get anywhere on time these days. She must pick out her own clothes. She must walk down our 3 flights of stairs to the car. A phrase I hear a lot is "Me do it."

*She so wants to be just like mommy..she likes to say, "Like Mommy do's". She's getting really into slinging her baby, nursing her baby...taking care of her baby. She also wants to use the big vacuum to pretend vacuum. She wants to drive the car. She wants to walk at the farmer's market instead of ride in the sling. Which, amazingly, was fine. She did great just walking next to us!

*She knows her ABC's now. The only part she gets hung up on is "H". She loves singing. She sings Itsy Bitsy Spider, Five Little Monkeys, and other random things she hears me singing.

It's definitely hard to get used to this new stage...she's so opinionated (I wonder where that comes from!?) ...and yet so wonderful and beautiful at the same time. I try very hard to truly listen to her and respect her as a person. If it's not going to hurt her, I usually let her try it. Even if it means wearing the same shirt 3 days in a row. Even if it means slowing life down a bit. I have to stop and ask myself why I am "making" her do something. Usually it's a selfish reason on my part. So I am learning a lot about myself, and at the same time learning all about her. God is good.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh how i wish i could be there for all those moments : ) thanks for sharing! can't wait to see you guys in a few days

6:19 PM  
Blogger FillingMyQuiver said...

God is good. What a wonderful little person you have there. It's so hard to believe how quickly they get so *big*.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Heth said...

The poop story had me seriously cracking up.

She is just precious Sara. You are doing an amazing job being her mommy. God had you two matched before the beginning of time.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your description of having a best friend with you 24 hours a day. I'd never thought of it that way, but it is so true. Bella says such cute things! Isn't it fun to have a conversation with your toddler!

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home